Homepage Armatori Italiano English Française
Italian Maritime Academy (IMA) ed Italian Maritime Academy Technologies (IMAT)
Picciotto
Cultura Navale
Collegio Nazionale Capitani Lungo Corso e Macchina
Daniele Alletto
Maxi-web.it
Air Naval
navichepassione
Torre d'aMare
ATENA
Precedente Successiva
Yelcho
Yelcho
History
Chile

Name: Yelcho
Owner: Sociedad Ganadera e Industrial Yelcho y Palena de Puerto Montt (for 2 years)

Builder: George Brown & Company Greenock, Yard No 34, Engines by Muir & Houston, Glasgow
Launched: 23 June 1906
Acquired: 1908 by the Chilean Navy

Commissioned: 1908
Decommissioned: 1945
Reinstated: 1945-1958 as tender ship
Honours and
awards: Rescue of the Endurance crew of Ernest Henry Shackleton

Fate: sold to ASMAR

Status: scrapped 1965
Notes: Bow is in Puerto Williams

General characteristics
Class and type: Cutter (boat)

Tonnage: 219 grt
Displacement: 467 t
Length: 120 feet (37 m)
Beam: 23 feet (7.0 m)
Depth: 18.0 feet (5.5 m)
Installed power: 350 hp
Propulsion: compound Muir & Houston Ltd. Glasgow
Speed: 10 knots
Crew: 22 men
Armament: 1 Hotchkiss 37mm Canon

Notes: There are two others Yelcho in the Chilean Navy, Chilean tug Yelcho (AGS-64) and Yelcho (1971).

The cutter boat Yelcho was built in 1906 by the Scottish firm G. Brown and Co. of Greenock, on the River Clyde for towage and cargo service of the Chilean Sociedad Ganadera e Industrial Yelcho y Palena de Puerto Montt. In 1908 she was sold to the Chilean Navy and ordered to Punta Arenas as a tug and for periodic maintenance and supply of the lighthouses of the zone.
The rescue of the Imperial Trans-Antarctic Expedition
After the dramatic voyage of the James Caird, Shackleton had attempted and failed three times to rescue the crew left on Elephant Island: the ships Southern Sky (Loaned by the English Whaling Co., 23?31 May 1916), Instituto de Pesca N?1 (loaned by the Government of Uruguay, 0?16 June 1916) and Emma[3] (a sealer, funded by the British Club. Punta Arenas, 12 July ? 8 August 1916) all failed to reach Elephant Island.
In July 1916, Yelcho was authorised by the president of Chile, Juan Luis Sanfuentes, to escort and tow Emma to a point 200 miles (320 km) south of Cape Horn. but this third attempt was also unsuccessful.
At dawn on 7 August Yelcho under the command of Captain Luis Pardo was ordered to Port Stanley in order to tug Emma and the British explorers back to Punta Arenas to make a fourth attempt.
The Chilean government offered Yelcho although she was totally unsuited for operations in Antarctic waters. With no radio, no proper heating system, no electric lighting and no double hull the small ship had to cross the 500 miles (800 km) of the Drake's Passage in Antarctic winter.
On 25 August 1916 at 00:15 she sailed bound for Elephant Island with 22 men under command of Pardo, carrying Shackleton, Frank Worsley and Tom Crean. After making it safely through the complex tides and channels of the west side of the Tierra del Fuego, Yelcho headed out into the Beagle Channel. On the 27th at 11:15 she arrived at Picton Island, where she bunkered 300 sacks of coal (a total of 72 tons were in the ship) from the Puerto Banner Naval Station. The process was completed within only 12 hours and on 28 August at 3:30 she weighed anchor and left for Elephant Island. 60 miles (97 km) south of Cape Horn the lookout spotted the first icebergs
At 11:40 am on 30 August the fog lifted, the camp on Elephant Island was spotted, and Yelcho immediately entered the bay. Within an hour, in two trips of a small boat, all the Elephant Island party were safely aboard Yelcho, which sailed for Punta Arenas.
Aftermath
After the successful rescue mission of 1916 the name Yelcho has been given to streets and ships of Chile, particularly to Chile's southernmost coastal Puerto Williams, and it is there that the prow of the Yelcho has been preserved and is prominently displayed as a tribute to Captain Pardo's ship, his crew.
In 1945 the ship was decommissioned and used as tender in the Petty officer School of the Chilean Navy. On 27 January 1958 was retired by decree 190 and 1962 sold to ASMAR under terms of Law 14.564 (5 May 1954) for 300.000 CLP.

Username Registrato surveychile
Armatore Chilean Navy
Ship manager
Numero IMO
Classificazione Tug
Cantiere e anno di costruzione 1908 George Brown & Company
Data
Luogo
Aggiunta il 05/05/2016
Dimensioni 1000 x 652
visite 871